P. O. Box 647 Springville, Ca. 93265
PH: (559) 539-2334 / FAX (559) 539-2091
Total Staff (CDCR) 2018: 9
Total Staffing (CAL-FIRE/LAC) 2018: 13
Total # Inmates (as of 01/16/2018): 74
Mountain Home in-camp projects include a Sign Shop that provides signs and plaques that are made from Redwood to various State Agencies. Mountain Home builds custom wood furnishings to include office cabinets, work stations, picnic tables, arbors as well as lawn furniture. Mountain Home Camp also runs a fulltime lumber mill that produces lumber material for various wood projects.
In an average year, Mountain Home Conservation Camp inmates provide over 115,000 man hours of conservation and other public service work to tax-supported local, state, and federal agencies in the Cal Fire Tulare Unit area. Over 90,000 hours of work are performed in firefighting or other emergency services. It is estimated that the Mountain Home Conservation Camp, through their cost effective work efforts, save the California taxpayers well over $2,000,000 during the calendar year.
Mountain Home provides extensive work for the Mountain Home State Forest, the U.S. Forest Service, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (at Lake’s Kaweah and Success), the Tulare County Road Department, and the Tulare County Office of Education, School of Science and Conservation (SCICON), to name a few. Much of this work would/could not be done without the dedication of the inmate fire crews and the commitment of the CDCR/CDF staff of the camp.
The Camp is currently participating in the Tree Mortality Task Force (TMTF) to combat the estimated 66 million dead trees throughout the state.
Mountain Home Conservation Camp was first opened on the Mountain Home State Forest in 1947, under the direction of the California Division of Forestry and the California Youth Authority. This was a 20-man summer spike camp located at the current Mountain Home Demonstration State Forest summer warehouse at the elevation of 6,500 feet above sea level. In the winter the camp would return to Coarsegold in Madera County. This continued for an unknown length of time. In 1955, the California Division of Forestry and California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation opened a 30-man spike camp at the same location and wintered at Coalinga to help on the construction of the Muirrietta Conservation Camp.
In 1959, under the direction of Governor Edmund G. Brown, the Director of Department of Natural Resources, DeWitt Nelson and the Director of Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Richard McGee, announced and began construction of the current Mountain Home Conservation Camp. In 1960, Mountain Home became the first mobile Conservation Camp. Thirteen semi-trailer rigs housed the mobile camp of 42-Inmates, five correctional employees, and six forestry employees. This mobile camp and the summer camp were used in the construction of the current Mountain Home Conservation Camp.
Mountain Home Conservation Camp #10 is under the administrative supervision of the Sierra Conservation Center. The camp is jointly operated by the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitations (CDCR) and the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection / CAL Fire. The camp’s primary mission is to provide inmate fire crews for fire suppression activities in the Tulare, and Kern County areas, although the fire crews maybe dispatched anywhere in the State. In addition to fire suppression, inmate fire crews provide a work force for conservation and community service projects in the local area.
The CDCR is responsible for the selection, supervision, care, and discipline of the inmates. The CAL Fire maintains the camp and supervises the work of the inmate fire crews. They are responsible for custody of the inmates while on their daily CDF work projects, and when they are on actual assignments during emergencies. CDCR staff may accompany the crews while on emergency assignments. CDCR has the primary responsibility to ensure that the inmates receive 24 hour a day direct supervision, while in camp as well as when on emergency assignments.