Deuel Vocational Institution (DVI)
- PIA: Farm/dairy operation
- Other: Youth Diversion, Religious, Narcotics Anonymous, Alcoholics Anonymous
DVI Education Programs
- Academic: Adult Basic Education 100; Adult Basic Education 200; Computer Literacy; Auto Body repair; Building Maintenance; Heating, Ventilation, Air-conditioning (HVAC)
- Kasson Adult School (KAS) which is part of Deuel Vocational Institution is a fully accredited Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) adult school. The programs offered through the school have been an integral part of the rehabilitation of thousands of men that have been incarcerated at DVI since 1953.
- KAS provides academic programs that lead toward the completion of the General Education Development (GED) exam. College courses are offered through Coastline Community College which is part of the California Community College System and leads to an Associate Arts or Science Degree.
- Career Technical Education classes are provided by credentialed instructors and train inmates in Auto Body & Paint, Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning and Building Maintenance. A basic computer fundamentals class is also offered that provides skills in Micro-Soft Word, Excel, Access & Power Point.
- ndependent study programs are available for inmates that have institutional job assignments to further their educational goals or interests. Courses available assist inmates to prepare for the GED exam, basic literacy in reading and mathematics, American Sign Language, art appreciation, small business management, and a book & poetry club.
- The physical education (PE) program is facilitated by a credentialed physical education teacher and provides conditioning and health & nutrient classes. The PE program provides inmates the opportunities to participate in intramural sports and activities year round.
Family Reunification LiaisonCDCR provides through a contract with a community-based organization an on-site Case Manager as a family reunification liaison for inmates and family members, to assist with an inmate’s pre-release preparation; and conduct Parenting and Creative Conflict Resolution classes for inmates. Please call the Institution to contact the Family Reunification Liason.
Special Historical Notes
DVI was named for the late Senator Charles D. Deuel who sponsored legislation establishing the institution. The facility opened in 1953 and was expanded in 1959, 1981 and 1993.
Visiting Hours and Directions
And the following holidays:
Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
To schedule a visiting appointment, you must call (209) 830-3900 on Fridays, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. or email email@example.com Monday or Tuesday between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.
For updated information concerning DVI visitor hours or closures, please contact the Visitor Hotline at (800) 374-8474, and follow the voice prompt for information specific to DVI.
A CDCR funded Visitor Center is at the institution operated by a community-based organization under contract to CDCR. The Visitor Center provides visiting assistance to family members and friends including a sheltered place to wait before and after visits, transportation to and from local transit terminals, childcare, clothing appropriate for visits on loan, and information about local resources, visiting rules and regulations.
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- CDCR Adult and Juvenile Institutions and Camps in California (pdf)
- Get on the Bus/Chowchilla Family Express
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)