San Quentin State Prison (SQ)
3 Ways of Sending Money to Inmates
- Lock Box: A no fee service with a shorter hold time for sending money via money order, personal check, or cashier’s checks.
- EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer): A paid service, this is the fastest option with funds posted to inmate’s account within 1 to 3 days.
- Mail funds directly to the institution: Never a fee. All funds except Certified Funds are subject to a 30 day hold.
San Quentin State Prison was opened in July 1852, and covers 432 acres. As of Fiscal Year 2012/2013, the following statistics apply:
Staff: Total Number of Employees is 1832
- Custodial Employees (Warden, Chief Deputy Warden, Associate Wardens, Captains, Lieutenants, Sergeants, Officers, Counselors):1056
- Auxiliary/Support Staff/Casuals: 356
- Medical, Mental Health, and Dental (Physicians, Clinicians, Nurses and Support Staff): 420
Annual Operating Budget: $164 Million
Population Numbers and Missions:
Design Capacity is 3088.
As of October 20, 2013 *Death Row:
• Currently houses 701 Condemned male inmates between the Condemned Units (684 inmates) and the Access to Care Unit (17 inmates)
• 22 condemned inmates not currently housed at SQ due to Out-to-Court, Out-to-Medical, or housed in the custody of other jurisdictions
- Mission Statement
- Institution Statistics
- Historical Notes
- Inmate Programs
- Sending Money to an Inmate
- PREA Information
Visiting and Directions
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)