Salinas Valley State Prison (SVSP)
R. T. C. Grounds,
Visiting Hours and Directions
from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Visitors are NOT to be on grounds prior to 7:45 a.m.
A CDCR funded Visitor Center is at the institution operated by a community-based organization under contract to CDCR. The Visitor Center provides visiting assistance to family members and friends including a sheltered place to wait before and after visits, transportation to and from local transit terminals, childcare, clothing appropriate for visits on loan, and information about local resources, visiting rules and regulations.
- Take I-5 south for approximately 116 miles to CA-152 west toward Monterey/Hollister
- Follow CA-152 west for approximately 37 miles, and then take CA-156 west towards Hollister to US-101 south
- Take US-101 south toward Salinas for approximately 53 miles
- Salinas Valley State Prison is approximately 30 miles south of the city of Salinas, and is adjacent to US-101, in the city of Soledad.
From Los Angeles:
- Take I-5 north for approximately 280 miles to CA-46 west
- Follow CA-46 west for approximately 64 miles to US-101 north
- Take US-101 North for approximately 66 miles. Salinas Valley State Prison is located adjacent to US-101, in the city of Soledad.
Important Information To Know When Visiting SVSP
Visitors to Salinas Valley State Prison will exit from US 101 at the "Correctional Facility" exit. This exit is for both SVSP and the Correctional Training Facility (CTF). SVSP is not visible because it is located behind CTF. SVSP visitors will need to proceed down the main entrance road and turn right onto Salinas Valley Road. Continue along the current route and CTF will be on your left hand side. There are two separate stop signs and CTF will continue to be on your left hand side. At the second stop sign you will see SVSP on your right hand side, continue going straight and the road will curve off to the right. The visitor's parking lot will be the first parking lot on the right hand side. Visitors will walk to the Visitor's Processing Center (follow the Yellow line) where visiting staff will verify your appointment time and issue a visitor's pass. When called for, approach the counter for processing and follow staffs instructions. Visitors with handicap placards should proceed on up to the Administration Building for handicapped parking.
All contact visiting appointments can be made at http://visitorreservations.cdcr.ca.gov/, on the Visiting Processing Appointment Schedule System (VPASS). Ensure you receive a confirmation assigning you an appointment. Non-contact appointments can only be made by calling the institution @ (831)678-5500 Ext: 5707 Monday- Friday 8:00-4:00. Non-contact visitors must arrive one hour prior to their appointment for processing. Failure to do, will automatically cancel the appointment and the visitor will not be able to visit that day.
Visitors should contact the Visitor's Information Hotline (800) 374-8474 for the current visiting status of each facility. The information on the Hotline is updated as new changes have occur. The status on each facility may change without prior notice.
General Population (GP) inmates on Facility D visit on odd numbered days of the weekend. Facility D, Buildings 3/4 inmates visit on even numbered days of the weekend. On holidays GP inmates visit from 8:30AM to 12PM and D3/4 inmates visit from 12:30PM to 3PM.
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)