Valley State Prison (VSP)
- Education: The VSP Education Department currently offers educational services to the inmate population via
two service delivery streams; the Academic Program, the Vocational Program. At any one time, the Education Department offers educational services to approximately 2,400 of our inmate population. Education is currently operating under a six year accreditation without a review issued by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (approximately 3% of all schools in the Western United States receive this high a level of accreditation).
- Academic Education Programs: Six classes for Adult Basic Education
I, II, III, and General Education Development (GED) level.
Vocational Programs: Automotive Mechanics, Cosmetology, Electronics, Office Services, Small, Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning, and Welding.
- PIA: PIA employs approximately 215 inmates in three separate operations: Farm Operation, Eyewear Manufacturing, and Laundry.
- Substance Abuse Program (SAP): SAP currently provides substance abuse services/counseling to 125 inmates in the Walden House program. Inmates follow a curriculum that includes education and counseling for substance abuse, domestic violence, anger management, conflict resolution, co-dependency, etc. This program also includes re-entry planning.
- Other: Religious, Law and Recreational Library, Physical Education, and Centerforce.
- Health Care Services: The Division of Correctional Health Care Services (DCHCS) at VSP consists of three departments: Medical, Mental Health and Dental Departments. VSP provides a range of treatment and rehabilitative services to assist women with emergent issues, alcohol and drug recovery, chronic care issues, obstetrical (OB)/gynecological (GYN) needs, preventative services, patient education, health care support, mental health services and dental services.
Family Reunification LiaisonCDCR provides through a contract with a community-based organization an on-site Case Manager as a family reunification liaison for inmates and family members, to assist with an inmate’s pre-release preparation; and conduct Parenting and Creative Conflict Resolution classes for inmates. Please call the Institution to contact the Family Reunification Liason.
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus/Chowchilla Family Express
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)