Valley State Prison (VSP)
3 Ways of Sending Money to Inmates
- Lock Box: A no fee service with a shorter hold time for sending money via money order, personal check, or cashier’s checks.
- EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer): A paid service, this is the fastest option with funds posted to inmate’s account within 1 to 3 days.
- Mail funds directly to the institution: Never a fee. All funds except Certified Funds are subject to a 30 day hold.
- Education: The VSP Education Department currently offers educational services to the inmate population via
two service delivery streams; the Academic Program, the Vocational Program. At any one time, the Education Department offers educational services to approximately 2,400 of our inmate population. Education is currently operating under a six year accreditation without a review issued by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (approximately 3% of all schools in the Western United States receive this high a level of accreditation).
- Academic Education Programs: Six classes for Adult Basic Education
I, II, III, and General Education Development (GED) level.
Vocational Programs: Automotive Mechanics, Cosmetology, Electronics, Office Services, Small Engine Repair, Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning, Welding, Electrical Works, Carpentry and Masonry.
- PIA: PIA employs approximately 215 inmates in three separate operations: Farm Operation, Eyewear Manufacturing, and Laundry.
- Substance Abuse Program (SAP): SAP currently provides substance abuse services/counseling to 125 inmates in the Walden House program. Inmates follow a curriculum that includes education and counseling for substance abuse, domestic violence, anger management, conflict resolution, co-dependency, etc. This program also includes re-entry planning.
- Other: Religious, Law and Recreational Library, Physical Education, and Centerforce.
- Health Care Services: The Division of Correctional Health Care Services (DCHCS) at VSP consists of three departments: Medical, Mental Health and Dental Departments. VSP provides a range of treatment and rehabilitative services to assist men with emergent issues, alcohol and drug recovery, chronic care issues, preventative services, patient education, health care support, mental health services and dental services.
Family Liaison Service SpecialistCDCR provides through a contract with a community-based organization an on-site Case Manager as a family reunification liaison for inmates and family members, to assist with an inmates pre-release preparation; and conduct Parenting and Creative Conflict Resolution classes for inmates. Please call the Institution to contact the Family Reunification Liaison.
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)