Community, Local Custody
Public Safety Realignment allows non-violent, non-serious, and non sex offenders to serve their sentence in county jails instead of state prisons. However, counties can contract back with the State to house local offenders.
Under Public Safety Realignment:
- No inmates currently in state prison will be transferred to county jails.
- No inmates currently in state prison will be released early.
- All felons sent to state prison will continue to serve their entire sentence in state prison.
- All felons convicted of current or prior serious or violent offenses, sex offenses, and sex offenses against children will go to state prison.
- There are nearly 60 additional crimes that are not defined in Penal Code as serious or violent offenses but at the request of law enforcement were added as offenses that would be served in state prison rather than in local custody.