Parolees who violate after September 30, 2011, will serve their revocation time in county jail instead of prison and can only be up to 180 days.
The responsibility of parole revocations for inmates released to county supervision shall be with the local courts. The responsibility of parole revocations for inmates released to the Division of Adult Operations’ supervision will continue under the Board of Parole Hearings until July 1, 2013, at which time the entire parole revocation process shall be a local court-based process. On July 1, 2013, the local courts will become the sole parole authority. Contracting back to the state for offenders to complete a period of parole revocation is not an option. Only life term offenders who paroled pursuant to PC section 3000.1 can be returned to state prison.
After July, 1, 2013 The Board of Parole Hearings will continue to conduct:
- Parole consideration for lifers;
- Medical parole hearings;
- Mentally disordered offender cases; and
- Sexually Violent Predator cases.
Public Safety Realignment also provides the following under parole:
- Allows local parole revocations up to 180 days
- Authorizes flash incarceration at the local level for up to 10 days
Life term inmates parole pursuant to PC section 3000.1 (e.g., murderers, specific life term sex offenses) will be eligible for return back to state prison if parole is revoked for 30 days or more.
The Division of Juvenile Justice AB 109 limited the future juvenile court commitments to the Division of Juvenile Justice (DJJ). However, AB 117 removes this provision. As such, there will be no changes to DJJ during the 2011 realignment.
- Realignment Fact Sheet
- Realignment Resource Guide
For Counties (PDF)
- What they're saying...
- Base Realignment Funding
- The 2012-13 Budget: Refocusing CDCR After The 2011 Realignment
- The 2012-13 Budget: The 2011 Realignment of Adult Offenders—An Update
- Local County and State Resources
- Time Calculation Information
- PRCS Health Care Information
- Key Provisions
- Other Resources
- Related Links
- Document Library