2300 County Road 74, Alturas, CA 96101
P.O. Box 1898, Alturas, CA 96101
PH: (530) 233-3553
Total Staff (CDCR) 2016: 10
Total Staffing (CALFIRE) 2016: 15
Total # Inmates (as of 08/01/2016): 114
Sign Manufacture (Plastic and Wood)
Wood Shop Items(Tables, Cabinets, Benches, etc.)
Every year, Devil’s Garden Camp crews dedicate thousands of hours establishing fuel breaks, working on forest and range improvement projects and perform campground maintenance for the Warner Mountain, Devil’s Garden and Double Head Ranger Districts of the U.S. Forest Service and Northern Division of the Bureau of Land Management. In addition, crews assist local school districts, fire district and cemetery districts with fire hazard abatement. Devil’s Garden Camp annually provides the local communities with thousands of hours of conservation related projects. Devil’s Garden crews annually perform thousands of hours of fire suppression for both state and federal agencies.
The camp was first opened in 1988. The camp’s history is rich and begins well over 100 years before Devil’s Garden opened its doors. The Devil’s Garden Plateau where the camp is located was part of the Applegate or Lassen Trail, a byway that led travelers north to the Klamath region of Oregon or west into central California. After 1874, the road lost its regional importance and fell into disuse. In 1908, under proclamation by President Theodore Roosevelt, the area was placed under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Forest Service and became part of the Modoc National Forest. In the spring of 1942, only months after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the Civil Aeronautics Administration (predecessor of the Federal Aviation Administration), began formal surveys of the site with plans to construct an airfield to accommodate both commercial and military aircraft. Construction and paving of the 6,250-foot runway did not begin, however, until late in 1944, and for reasons unknown the project was abandoned in 1945.
In 1960 the U.S. Forest Service proposed upgrading the airport to serve as an air tanker base to fight fires. Two Navy torpedo bombers were permanently based at the airport. During the height of the fire season, as many as six aircraft with crews remained on alert at Devil’s Garden Airport. For eight years the airport was a well-known landing spot for many aviators until it was shut down in 1968. Almost 20 years later, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection surveyed the potential site for Devil's Garden Camp, and in 1988 the camp was opened for business.
Devil’s Garden Camp is staffed by CAL FIRE and CDCR personnel. CAL FIRE staff includes one division chief, two heavy fire equipment operators, one water and sewer plant operator, one office technician and ten fire captains. CDCR staff includes one correctional lieutenant, one correctional sergeant and eight correctional officers.