Division of Adult Parole Operations
California Parole Apprehension Team (CPAT)
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation is committed to the apprehension of parolees who pose a threat to public safety and who have absconded parole supervision.
In an effort to reduce the risk to public safety from parolees who avoid supervision, the Division of Adult Parole Operations (DAPO) established California Parole Apprehension Teams (CPAT) in each of four regions: Sacramento, San Jose, Compton and San Diego.
CPAT teams consist of a Regional Intelligence (Intel) Unit located in each regional office and multiple field apprehension teams spread throughout the regions. The CPATs will make efforts to locate all classifications of parolees who are at large (PAL) using the latest technology and available private and public databases. CPAT teams receive extensive training in fugitive apprehension, database searches, field tactics and firearms training. CPAT Parole Agents attend the Office of Correctional Safety academy.
With the activation of CPAT, parolees in the highest risk classification are transferred to the intelligence and field units for a concerted effort to locate them. In addition to PAL apprehension, CPAT is committed to the prevention of PALs. Where available, CPAT attends Parole and Community Team meetings to encourage parolees to comply with their reporting responsibilities and to collaborate with DAPO field staff to develop practical methods to help reduce the rate of absconding.
The apprehension of PALs remains a responsibility of all DAPO Parole Agents. The addition of the CPAT teams is enhancing our collective ability to reduce the PAL population and bring non-compliant parolees back under supervision.
- About CPAT (PDF)
Adult Parole Operations Links
- Adult Parole Operations Overview
- Adult Parole Careers
- American Correctional Association Accreditation
- California Parole Apprehension Teams (CPAT)
- Electronic Monitoring
- Lifer Parole Process
- Mental Health Services Continuum Program
- Statutory Parole Requirements
- Parole Services
- Parole Conditions
- Parolee Information Handbook
- Parolee Restitution Payment Instructions
- Restitution Responsibilities, Information for Adult Offenders
- Sex Offender Information Overview
- Sex Offender Management Resources
- State Authorized Risk Assessment Tool for Sex Offenders (SARATSO) Committee