The Restitution Process

  1. The first step a victim needs to take to receive restitution ordered by the court and collected by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) is to verify the presence of a direct order payable to the victim in the offender’s court record, and to notify the Office of Victim & Survivor Rights & Services (OVSRS) of the address to which collections should be sent. This can be done by calling OVSRS to talk with a restitution analyst, or by submitting a completed Form 1707 as described in the following section.
Request For Victim Services Form (CDCR Form 1707).  The form can also be obtained from any local Victim/Witness Assistance Center. Victims may also call the Office of Victim & Survivor Rights & Services (OVSRS) toll-free at 1-877-256-OVSS (6877).
  • Complete the form
  • Sign and date the form
  • Print the form
  • Mail the form to:

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
Office of Victim & Survivor Rights & Services
P.O. Box 942883
Sacramento, CA 94283-0001

  1. When OVSRS has received the completed form or contact has been made with an OVSRS restitution analyst, OVSRS will verify whether a Court Order (required for restitution) is present or not in the offender’s case records. The court order must state the victim's name and a specific dollar amount to be paid to that person.

  1. If there is a court order for restitution, 50% of an inmate’s wages and trust account deposits are collected to satisfy their restitution. It is possible, however, that while incarcerated the inmate does not make any deposits into his/her account, which CDCR cannot make any restitution collections. This is outside the control of CDCR.

  1. Money collected from an inmate is transferred to the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board (VCGCB) for disbursement to the victim. Disbursements are made in increments of $50 or every six months, whichever is reached first.

Information and Suggestions

  • Call OVSRS or submit the completed CDC Form 1707 to OVSRS immediately. Do not wait. CDCR cannot disburse the funds if there is no victim contact information included in our records.
  • The victim is entitled to a copy of the Minute Order or Abstract of Judgment from the Court Clerk’s office, located at the court where the trial was held. These documents will show that the offender was ordered to pay a specific amount of money to a particular victim. It may be is helpful, though not mandatory, to attach a copy of these documents to the completed CDC Form 1707 prior to sending it to OVSRS. Should a court order be written but fail to be sent to CDCR by the county, it may be necessary for the victim to acquire the order and provide it to OVSRS for collection to occur.
  • Be patient; the collection process takes a long time. Inmates typically make between $0.38 and $1.00 per hour. There are also more inmates incarcerated than there are jobs available. Therefore, some inmates may not have a wage-earning job, which further limits the amount of money available to pay restitution.