Gabilan Conservation Camp #38
31801 McCoy Rd,
Soledad, California 93960
Camp Staff (CDCR)
- M.H. Nilsson, Camp Commander
- J. George, Assistant Camp Commander
- C. Schwartz, Assistant Camp Commander
- D. Stophlet, Correctional Officer
- M. Huff, Correctional Officer
- T. Castillon, Correctional Officer
- A. Osborn, Correctional Officer
- B. Kopitzke, Correctional Officer
- M. Colsell, Correctional Officer
- R. Wright, Correctional Officer
- F. Arevalo, Correctional Officer
Facts and Figures
Total Staff (CDCR) 2019: 11
Total Staffing (CAL-FIRE/LAC) 2019: 15
Total # Inmates (as of 04/03/2019): 93
Community Service Projects
- City of Monterey: Greenbelt fire fuel reduction and habitat restoration including removal of invasive non-native plants, dead trees and plants. Reforestation with native trees and plants; erosion control and greenbelt maintenance.
- Marina Dunes: planting of indigenous flowers, abatement of weeds, and falling dead trees.
- State Parks: Falling of dead trees, restoring historical sites, building bridges, clearing hiking trails and taking down bridges during winter weather.
- City of Pebble Beach: Fuel reduction on open space lands of DMFF and PBC with principal focus on thinning pine saplings with saplings which sprouted as a result of the 1987 Morse Fire in the Huckleberry Hill area.
- City of Carmel: Flood control and clearing nonindigenous vegetation from waterways.
- City of Del Rey Oaks: Clean and chip willows form intersections and waterways.
- Various Monterey County Projects: Regional Park Laguna Seca Raceway.
- San Benito County Historical Society
Gabilan was opened in January 1986. The camp’s primary mission is to provide inmate fire crews for fire suppression activities in the Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz County Areas, although the crews may be dispatched anywhere in the State. In addition to fire suppression, the camp supports a MKU (Mobile Kitchen Unit). Inmate fire crews provide a work force for conservation and community service project areas. The CAL Fire in-camp projects include; Vehicle maintenance / repair, Small Engine and Fire Hose Repair Shop.
Recruitment of Inmate Fire Fighters by CAL-FIRE and US Forest Services, Hobby Program, Prison Fellowship, Saw Classes, AA Alcoholic Anonymous, NA Narcotic Anonymous, Celebrate Recovery, Music Program.