School Closures Due to Coronavirus
Many school districts have cancelled all classes or instituted remote learning as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). The following directives are to be followed in order to accommodate staff impacted by school closures:
- Staff requesting time off in response to school closures are required to submit a leave request, which will be considered in the same manner as discretionary leave requests. It is encouraged that managers and supervisors are flexible with these requests while ensuring sufficient coverage for their respective units and to safeguard that mission-critical services are provided. Employees approved to take time off will be required to utilize leave credits. Employees shall use leave credits of all types available, including sick leave, to care for children as a result of school closures that officials determined was necessary to protect public health.
- All temporary requests for telework and flexible work schedules resulting from COVID-19 may be considered on a case-by-case basis while the closure exists. Requests will be prioritized based on essential services of the department, pending telework equipment, and manager approval.
- NOTE: Staff shall not begin telework until approved by both their manager or Supervisor and the Information Technology unit.
- Telework equipment is limited and should be considered by the essential services of the department and the following (managers and supervisors cannot ask an employee for a diagnosis and must follow sick leave policies and MOUs in requesting information on employee illnesses ):
- Employees subject to quarantine or self-monitoring.
- Employees who are considered at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness, per the CDC:
- Adults age 65 and older
- People who have serious chronic medical conditions* like:
- Heart disease
- Lung disease
- Employees who are the primary caregiver for someone who is considered at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness, per the CDC.
- School closures
- In effort to reduce the risk exposure or spread of the coronavirus
CCHCS employees: If a request for telework is approved, a ticket must be submitted to the Information Technology Services Division through the Solution Center/Service Now to obtain the necessary equipment. Temporary telework equipment requests for employees subject to mandatory/self-quarantine or school closures will be expedited. Regular or permanent telework requests will follow the normal protocol and timeframes.
CDCR employees: If a request for telework is approved, a ticket must be submitted to the CDCR EIS Service Desk. Contact your local IT support for assistance.
For additional information relating to telework, please see the Telework FAQ.
Under no circumstances will staff be permitted to bring visitors into the office area as a result of school closures. Staff are responsible for making appropriate childcare arrangements.
CDCR and CCHCS recognize this is an evolving situation; the direction above is based on current policy. If CalHR’s directives change we will notify staff immediately. Should you have any questions, you may contact your supervisor/manager for guidance.
Katherine Minnich and Jasinda Muhammad