Frequently Asked Questions
General Questions and Information
- CA Division of Juvenile Justice
- Military & Veteran Applicants
- Peace Officer Reinstatement
- Out of State Applicants
- Is being a Correctional Officer more dangerous for females than males?
- What is it like to work as a female Correctional Officer?
- When can I apply for a Correctional Officer with CDCR?
- When can I apply for a Youth Correctional Counselor and/or Youth Correctional Officer position with CDCR?
- What are the minimum qualifications to apply for Correctional Officer, Youth Correctional Officer, and Youth Correctional Counselor.
- Can you send me a Correctional Officer application?
- Who do I contact if I have a question about the application?
- What if I require reasonable accommodation?
- What if I have not received an email?
- What if I encounter computer problems while completing/submitting my application?
- Does my application expire?
- Why does the hiring process take so long?
- Can I transfer to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation directly from a police or sheriff’s department?
- How will OPOS contact me about scheduling appointments, additional information needed and Academy offers, etc.?
- Whom do I notify if I move, change my telephone number, etc.?
- Does OPOS conduct the Parole Agent and Youth Authority Exams?
- If I fail the Correctional Officer selection process, are there other career opportunities available?
- How do I apply for Veteran’s Preference?
- What if I am unable to make my test date due to my military obligation?
- Do I have to do the Physical Fitness Test if I am in the military?
- I am a military/veteran candidate but I am unable to provide certification of meeting military physical fitness standards. Can I still have my PFT waived?
- After I apply, what happens next?
- How long does the process take? What are the steps?
- Where are the testing locations?
- Is there an accelerated testing process for candidates in the military or who are from out of state?
- What is the difference between withdrawing from the process and being eliminated?
- How can I prepare for the Written Exam? What can I study?
- Can I reschedule my Written Exam? How do I do this?
- How do I find access to my online account?
- Who do I contact if there is an emergency that prevents me from taking an exam?
- How soon will I know my examination results?
- What happens if I do not pass the Written Examination?
PHYSICAL FITNESS (PFT) TESTING
- How can I prepare for the Physical Fitness Test (PFT)?
- What is the location of the Physical Fitness Test (PFT)?
- What do I need to wear/bring for the Physical Fitness Test (PFT)?
- Can I reschedule my Physical Fitness Test (PFT)?
- Who do I contact if there is an emergency that prevents me from taking the PFT?
- What happens if I fail a portion of the Physical Fitness Test?
- I am currently in the military. Can I have my PFT waived?
PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT (PHS)
- What do I need to bring for my Pre-Investigatory Interview?
- What documents need to be included with the PHS?
- What if my PHS is not completed?
- What information on the PHS can exclude me from the process?
- Do PHS documents have to be originals or can they be copies?
- What if I haven’t received my transcript?
- How do I get my PHS notarized?
- Are my PHS documents returned if I fail the background investigation?
- Does it matter if I don’t have any credit on my credit report?
COMPUTERIZED VOICE STRESS ANALYZER (CVSA) EXAMINATION
LIVE SCAN (Fingerprints)
- How do I find out who my background investigator is?
- I have been assigned a background investigator, can I contact them?
- Does CDCR consider marijuana an illegal drug?
- I was convicted of a felony, which was later expunged. Can I still become a Correctional Officer?
- Am I notified when I clear Background Investigation?
PEACE OFFICER PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION (POPE)
- What is the POPE Process?
- Where do I go for the Psychological Evaluation?
- How long is the Psychological Evaluation process?
PRE-EMPLOYMENT MEDICAL (PEM)
- What is the (PEM) process?
- Where do I go for the PEM exam?
- What is the Vision Test?
- If my eyesight was surgically corrected will I be eligible to go through the selection process?
- If I wear glasses or contact lenses can I still be a Correctional Officer?
COMPLETING THE PROCESS
- How long will it take for the entire hiring process?
- What is the next step after completing all selection components?
- Can I choose the prison or facility that I want to work at?
- How long is the Basic Correctional Officer Academy (BCOA)?
- What will I need to have and bring with me when I report to the Academy?
- Does academy count towards any units if you are a criminal justice major?
- Do I get paid while I am in the academy?
- Do I have to stay at the Academy or can I go home?
- What if I need a Reasonable Accommodation?
- I am a military candidate who had my PFT waived due to my military status. Will I have to do the PFT at the Academy or will it be waived again?
PROMOTIONS WITHIN PEACE OFFICER
- What are my promotional opportunities once I become a Correctional Officer or Youth Correctional Officer?
- What courses can I take to enhance my Peace Officer Career?