Welcome to Richard A. McGee Correctional Training Center
The following information below is to assist you with any questions you may have while visiting the Office of Training and Professional Development at the Correctional Training Center as a cadet, guest of a cadet, or member of the general public.
Richard A. McGee Correctional Training Center (CTC)
9850 Twin Cities Road, Galt, CA 95632 (View in Google Maps)
From Highway 99
Approximately 1 mile west of Highway 99. Take Hwy-104/Twin Cities Road exit.
From Interstate 5
Approximately 9 miles east of Interstate 5. Take Hwy-104/Twin Cities Road exit.
- Parking is free. Staff will be directing traffic upon entrance to the facility.
- Please park only in designated spaces.
- The posted speed limit is 15 mph.
- Please plan to arrive early. Traffic will likely be heavy and parking and security checks may result in delays getting to your destination. There may be extensive walking required. Please make sure to consider this when bringing elderly or infirm guests to the Academy.
- The Academy does not issue handicapped or special parking passes, so please bring your own handicapped placard.
Director’s Rules and CTC Rules and Regulations
While at CTC, guests are expected to be in compliance with the Director’s Rules and CTC rules and regulations listed below:
- It is unlawful to bring firearms, ammunition, knives, chemical agents, projectiles,
drugs, or alcohol of any kind on grounds. Alcohol, weapons, and/or ammunition are
not to be left unattended in vehicles.
- Peace officer status employees and others authorized to carry firearms must place
them in a gun locker provided in the Watch Office upon arrival.
- Blue denim is not permitted on grounds at any time.
- Camouflage attire is only permitted when worn by an individual on active duty or in an official capacity.
- Pursuant to State and departmental policy, tobacco products, (i.e., cigarettes, cigars,
and “chew”) are not allowed on Academy grounds unless they are secured in your
- Tobacco products may be used from 1700 through 0600 hours, and on the weekends, as long as inmate workers are not on Academy grounds and only in the designated smoking area, which is located at the southwest corner of the Academy, near the water tanks.
- Also not allowed on grounds: bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, etc., and pets except for authorized service dogs
- Persons entering or exiting the Academy grounds must use the Administration Building
foyer daily as the main point of entrance to or exit from the Academy. Training
participants must sign in and sign out in the CTC logbook located in the foyer for
accountability and emergency notification purposes.
- In order to avoid security delays, refrain from bringing large bags, coolers, backpacks,
or other items that will require additional scrutiny or searches from security personnel.
- Anyone observing suspicious behavior or activity is urged to promptly report it.
REMEMBER, IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING!
- If you have a medical, fire, or police emergency, please call 911 immediately.
Wheelchair and handicapped seating is available. These seats are not ticketed and are first come, first served. So please arrive early if you will need wheelchair accessible seating.
- Appropriate attire is clothing that does not present a safety hazard to participants
while performing their duties, is suitable in the presence of inmates, and professional
- Clothing shall be worn in a manner consistent with good taste.
- Camouflage attire should only be worn by an individual on active duty or in an official
- The following apparel is not allowed: Tank tops; tube tops; off the shoulder and
strapless sweaters, blouses, or dresses; spaghetti strap apparel; muscle shirts; dresses
or skirts with excessively high slits; see-through apparel; clothing that exposes midriff
area; clothing with wording or prints depicting offensive, sexual, racial, or derogatory
remarks; and blue denim.
- Shorts and sweatpants may only be worn in the weight room, gymnasium, or on
running track. Closed toed shoes are required.
- CTC telephones are to be used for State business only. If you need to make a State
business telephone call, contact your instructor so they can direct you to a State
- Your instructor will inform you where telephone messages will be posted.
- Long distance calls placed from the housing units must be made through the use of a
calling card or via a collect call.
- For security of the Academy, the housing unit telephones are disconnected from
outside calling between 0700 and 1500 hours. During these hours you may continue to
dial room-to-room or receive calls.
- CTC will make every attempt to provide housing for all training participants. If CTC has
housing available, you will not be compensated for out of pocket expenses incurred for
off grounds housing.
- Please contact CTC reception Desk to schedule housing. All individuals utilizing on
grounds housing are normally housed 2 per room.
- CTC has four Reasonable Accommodation rooms available in the T and U housing units.
There are two beds available per housing unit.
- When you check in, you will be issued a room key and a copy of the visitor’s packet.
The rooms are supplied with pillows, blankets, linen, and towels.
- Persons assigned Academy housing are not allowed to share their assigned room with
unauthorized guests or visitors. This is applicable to and includes current State
- Participants are responsible for keeping their room locked at all times.
- The Watch Office staff will make any changes in room assignments during regular
business hours – Monday through Friday, 0700 to 1530 hours, except for maintenance
- Participants are responsible for the cleanliness of their room during their stay.
Cleaning items or linen (towels, washcloths, sheets, and pillowcases) exchange can be
made in “Y” building behind Culinary on Mondays from 1030 to 1230 hours. Staff will
not issue clean linen without the exchange of soiled linen.
- Periodically, Plant Operations and Janitorial staff may enter guest housing to facilitate
maintenance or regular cleaning. Please ensure that personal or sensitive items are not
left in the rooms as staff and inmate workers may be present.
- Participants will be charged for lost keys, lost TV remote batteries, lost/damaged linen,
and any damage to the room and/or furniture. Participants will be required to pay
before leaving CTC. The charge for a lost key is $5.00 each, non-returned batteries are
$1.00 each, and lost/damaged linen is based on replacement costs. Charges for
damages to rooms will include labor costs of the repair and the replacement cost of
- Due to fire and safety codes, no burning of candles or incense of any kind will be
allowed in any room at CTC at any time. Plug-in air fresheners are also prohibited.
- Personal appliances, (toasters, coffee pots, etc.) are not allowed within the housing
- Curfew/Quiet Hours: Training participants who are staying overnight on grounds must
quietly remain in their rooms between 2300 and 0430 hours for the consideration of
other training participants and to maintain security of the facility and staff
- If you leave grounds permanently prior to the end of scheduled training for any reason,
you must notify the instructor and turn in housing keys to the Watch Office.
- On the last day of your stay, your personal items must be removed from your room
and your key turned in to the Watch Office by 0700 hours.
- Classes generally begin at 0800 hours, break from 1130 to 1230 hours, and end at 1700
hours unless otherwise notified.
- Breaks are usually given each hour depending on the subject being taught.
- During breaks, keep noise to a minimum. Other classes may still be in session.
- Ethical and professional conduct is expected at all times.
- During orientation, on the first morning of the class, the instructor will go over the
daily schedule and course expectations.
- Attendance sheets will be completed each day. Any absences will be recorded and
your IST office or supervisor will be notified.
- All course requirements must be met and incurred charges paid before a Certificate of
Completion is issued.
Items available for sale include beverages, snacks, health and beauty aids, and novelty items.
The Academy Store is located next to the west parking lot and is open to the public on
Lost and Found
If you have lost or found an item, please notify the Watch office at the number listed above.
Items will be logged in and stored in an office vault for 30 days. Items not claimed within 30
days will be turned over to the property officer for disposal.
(209) 744-5000 (24/7 Hours)