California Institution for Women (CIW)
3 Ways of Sending Money to Inmates
- Lock Box: A no fee service with a shorter hold time for sending money via money order, personal check, or cashier’s checks.
- EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer): A paid service, this is the fastest option with funds posted to inmate’s account within 1 to 3 days.
- Mail funds directly to the institution: Never a fee. All funds except Certified Funds are subject to a 30 day hold.
California Institution for Women - Mission Statement
The primary mission of the California Institution for Women is to provide a safe and secure environment for primarily Level I/III female offenders. This mission is further defined by our responsibility to provide quality health care and institution programs specifically geared to meet the special needs of female offenders. Specialized programs include academic and vocational programs, pre-release and substance abuse programming, pre-forestry and camp training, an arts in corrections program and a wide variety of inmate self-help groups and community betterment projects.
The California Institution for Women accommodates all custody levels of female inmates. In addition to its large general population, CIW houses inmates with special needs such as pregnancy, psychiatric care, methadone, and medical problems such as HIV infection.
CIW serves as a hub institution for the selection and physical fitness training of female firefighters selected for conservation camp placement. The institution also serves as a higher security facility for female inmates in Administrative Segregation.
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)