The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) has a long history of volunteerism with our Community Partners that support our mission, “to facilitate the successful reintegration of the individuals in our care back to their communities equipped with the tools to be drug-free, healthy, and employable members of society by providing education, treatment, rehabilitative, and restorative justice programs, all in a safe and humane environment.”
Community Partners bring a level of knowledge, and expertise that prepares the incarcerated population for successful reintegration into the community, while making the most of limited resources.
Community Partners enhance public safety and promote successful community integration through education, treatment and active participation in rehabilitative and restorative justice programs. An integral component of these efforts includes our partnership with members of the community who provide services to offenders. Volunteers and Program Providers are a significant and vital part of the correctional system.
Community Partners Core Values
Community Partners develop meaningful programs and processes to promote responsibility for public safety that embrace our values of:
- Service: We serve and are responsible to the public. We value their trust and invite their involvement.
- Leadership: We serve as positive role models and foster an environment that supports a balance between professional development, professional job performance, and personal wellness.
- Integrity: We conduct ourselves professionally through fair, honest, and ethical behavior. We have the courage to do what is right, even in the face of adversity.
- Accountability: We accept responsibility for our actions and decisions as well as their consequences.
- Respect: We respect each other’s differences and treat others with courtesy, dignity, and consideration.
- Trust: We are people of character. We keep our word and honor our commitments.
- Collaboration: We work with our stakeholders as partners to support mutual understanding of ideas and open exploration of our differences.
Each Volunteer and Program Provider’s dedication and passion empowers CDCR to meet this mission.