North Kern State Prison (NKSP)
North Kern State Prison - Mission Statement
The mission of North Kern State Prison is two-fold: 1) it functions as a reception center for the processing of incoming inmates from southern and some northern counties; and 2) functions as the Central / Southern California Transportation Hub for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
NKSP has a general population medium custody facility and a minimum support facility. The general population portion of the institution focuses on providing educational opportunities geared towards providing inmates with an education which will aid them in seeking employment upon their release from prison.
The Reception Center currently processes incoming inmates usually within a 90 day period. After compiling the inmate's criminal records, life histories, medical and psychological histories, and social relationships, NKSP staff determines the inmate's classification score and institutional placement. NKSP also has a ten-bed Level I firehouse.
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)