North Kern State Prison (NKSP)
3 Ways of Sending Money to Inmates
- Lock Box: A no fee service with a shorter hold time for sending money via money order, personal check, or cashier’s checks.
- EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer): A paid service, this is the fastest option with funds posted to inmate’s account within 1 to 3 days.
- Mail funds directly to the institution: Never a fee. All funds except Certified Funds are subject to a 30 day hold.
North Kern State Prison - Mission Statement
The mission of North Kern State Prison is to process and classify incoming inmates from County Jails by evaluating their medical and mental health needs, determining their security level, program requirements, and appropriate institutional placement prior to their transfer.
NKSP has a general population medium custody facility and a minimum support facility with a ten-bed Level I firehouse. The general population portion of the institution focuses on providing educational/vocational opportunities to inmates equipping them with skills which will aid them in finding gainful employment upon their release from prison.
The Reception Center currently processes incoming inmates usually within a 90 day period. After compiling the inmate's criminal records, life histories, medical and psychological histories, and social relationships, NKSP staff determines the inmate's classification score and institutional placement.
NKSP is also the site where the Central / Southern California Transportation Hub for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation is located and operates from.
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)