Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)
3 Ways of Sending Money to Inmates
- Lock Box: A no fee service with a shorter hold time for sending money via money order, personal check, or cashier’s checks.
- EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer): A paid service, this is the fastest option with funds posted to inmate’s account within 1 to 3 days.
- Mail funds directly to the institution: Never a fee. All funds except Certified Funds are subject to a 30 day hold.
Pelican Bay State Prison - Mission Statement
Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP) is designed to house California’s most serious criminal offenders in a secure, safe, and disciplined institutional setting. One half of the prison houses maximum security inmates in a general population setting. The other half houses inmates in the Security Housing Unit (SHU) designed for inmates presenting serious management concerns. The SHU is a modern design for inmates who are difficult management cases, prison gang members, and violent maximum security inmates.
In Addition, PBSP operates two unique programs: The Psychiatric Services Unit (PSU) which is a 127 bed unit designed and staffed to treat mentally disordered offenders who are serving SHU terms. PBSP also operates a 400 bed, Level I Minimum Support Facility which houses non-violent offenders outside of the secure perimeter of the main institution, and a Fire House with 8 full time inmate fire fighters.
PBSP is located on 275 acres on the North Coast of California, 13 miles from the Oregon/California Border. The institution opened in 1989 to accommodate a need for a growing population of maximum security inmates. Currently in its 24th year of operation, PBSP operates with a budget in excess of $190 million.
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)