Valley State Prison (VSP)
Contact & Visiting Information
Main Phone: (559) 665-6100
- 21633 Avenue 24, Chowchilla, CA 93610
- Institution: P. O. Box 99, Chowchilla, CA 93610-0099
- Inmates (make sure to include Inmate's Name and CDCR number as well as last known housing):
- General Inmate Mail: P. O. Box 92, Chowchilla, CA 93610-0092
- Inmate Moneygram: P. O. Box 94, Chowchilla, CA 93610-0094
- Inmate Legal Mail: P. O. Box 96, Chowchilla, CA 93610-0096
- Valley State Prison Institutional Staff: P. O. Box 99, Chowchilla, CA 93610-0099
Saturdays and Sundays and Designated Holidays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
* New Year's Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day
Visitation can be scheduled by calling the Visitation Appointment Line at (559) 665-6100 Ext. 8950 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1:00pm to 3:00pm.
A CDCR funded Visitor Center is at the institution operated by a community-based organization under contract to CDCR. The Visitor Center provides visiting assistance to family members and friends including a sheltered place to wait before and after visits, transportation to and from local transit terminals, childcare, clothing appropriate for visits on loan, and information about local resources, visiting rules and regulations.
Valley State Prison is located directly across from the Central California Women's Facility (CCWF). For information on how to get to VSP, visit this link to customize your driving directions.
About Valley State Prison
The mission of Valley State Prison (VSP) is multi-fold. VSP functions as a Level II, General Population institution housing inmates requiring Sensitive Needs Yard (SNY) placement. VSP also houses inmates who are assigned to the Enhanced Outpatient Program (EOP). The EOP provides a higher level of mental health treatment for inmate requiring a more enhanced treatment plan with mental health staff. VSP has been identified as a Re-Entry hub for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitations (CDCR). As a Re-Entry hub, VSP will focus on needs based rehabilitative services to include substance abuse and cognitive behavioral training. VSP offers educational and vocational training, along with work skills training through the Prison Industry Authority Optical and Laundry programs.
VSP was constructed and dedicated in 1995. The original name for VSP was Valley State Prison for Women (VSPW). VSPW housed multi-level female felons and served CDCR as the stateís only Security Housing Unit (SHU) for the female offender population. In 2011, the California Legislature passed, and Governor Brown signed into law, Assembly Bill 109 (AB109) the Governorís Public Safety Re-Alignment bill. The result of that law was a decrease in the female offender population and the recidivism rate. CDCR seeing the drastic reduction in the female population saw the opportunity to utilize VSPW to house level II SNY male inmates. In October 2012, VSPW began a historic conversion from an all female institution to an all male institution. In January 2013, the conversion was successfully completed and the name changed to Valley State Prison or VSP.
About the Warden
Raythel Fisher has been warden or acting warden at Valley State Prison, Chowchilla, since 2014. Fisher served in several positions at Pleasant Valley State Prison from 1994 to 2014, including chief deputy warden, associate warden, lieutenant and sergeant. He was a captain at the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison, Corcoran, from 2007 to 2010 and at Kern State Valley Prison from 2006 to 2007. Fisher was a correctional officer at North Kern State Prison from 1993 to 1994 and at California State Prison, Corcoran from 1988 to 1993. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1984 to 1988.
- Sending Money to an Inmate
- PREA Information
- Inmate Population Reports (Weekly/Monthly)
- COMPSTAT Institution Statistics
- Public Information Officers (PIOs)
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)