Valley State Prison (VSP)
3 Ways of Sending Money to Inmates
- Lock Box: A no fee service with a shorter hold time for sending money via money order, personal check, or cashier’s checks.
- EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer): A paid service, this is the fastest option with funds posted to inmate’s account within 1 to 3 days.
- Mail funds directly to the institution: Never a fee. All funds except Certified Funds are subject to a 30 day hold.
Valley State Prison - Mission Statement
The mission of Valley State Prison (VSP) is multi-fold. VSP functions as a Level II, General Population institution housing inmates requiring Sensitive Needs Yard (SNY) placement. VSP also houses inmates who are assigned to the Enhanced Outpatient Program (EOP). The EOP provides a higher level of mental health treatment for inmate requiring a more enhanced treatment plan with mental health staff. VSP has been identified as a Re-Entry hub for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitations (CDCR). As a Re-Entry hub, VSP will focus on needs based rehabilitative services to include substance abuse and cognitive behavioral training. VSP offers educational and vocational training, along with work skills training through the Prison Industry Authority Optical and Laundry programs.
VSP was constructed and dedicated in 1995. The original name for VSP was Valley State Prison for Women (VSPW). VSPW housed multi-level female felons and served CDCR as the stateís only Security Housing Unit (SHU) for the female offender population. In 2011, the California Legislature passed, and Governor Brown signed into law, Assembly Bill 109 (AB109) the Governorís Public Safety Re-Alignment bill. The result of that law was a decrease in the female offender population and the recidivism rate. CDCR seeing the drastic reduction in the female population saw the opportunity to utilize VSPW to house level II SNY male inmates. In October 2012, VSPW began a historic conversion from an all female institution to an all male institution. In January 2013, the conversion was successfully completed and the name changed to Valley State Prison or VSP.
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)