Eel River Conservation Camp #31
Street Address: 850 Eel River Camp Road, Redway CA 95560
Mailing Address: PO Box 819, Redway, CA 95560
CDCR Camp Staff
- Lt. F. Money, Camp Commander
- Sgt. J. Locker and Sgt. M Hagler, Assistant Camp Commanders
2021 Camp Statistics
CDCR Staff: 11
Total number of inmates: 52
Total inmate capacity: 120
- Fire Wood (Senior Center)
- Carpentry Humboldt/Del Norte CAL FIRE Unit
Community Service Projects
During the calendar year, Eel River Conservation Camp provides the local communities, stage agencies and federal agencies with tens of thousands of work hours.
- Southern Humboldt Unified School District
- Humboldt Redwoods State Park
- Shelter Cove Resort Improvement District (RID)
- Humboldt County Roads
- Local community service district
- Eel River Salmon Restoration Project (Leggett Creek)
Eel River Conservation Camp #31 was activated on February 2, 1967. The primary mission of the camp is to provide incarcerated fire crews for fire suppression. Inmate hand crews provide a work force for floods, conservation projects and community services.
It is estimated through the emergency responses to fires, floods, and project work Eel River Conservation Camp provided cost avoidance in excess of a million dollars per year to the taxpayers of California. Noteworthy projects include extensive work at various public schools, State Parks, State/County roadways and U.S. land improvement to include a successful camp recycling program.
Inmates can participate in hobby-crafts programs, weight training, music appreciation program and other leisure time activities during their off work-time hours. Visiting is conducted during weekends and families can bring picnic lunches for the visits.
Eel River Camp hosts a variety of programs in conjunction with local volunteers:
- Alcohol / Narcotics Anonymous meetings
- Jehovah Witness meetings
- Eel River Christian services
- Group Bible Study
- DMV – California I.D. and driver’s license program
- Hobby program / victims of crime donations
- Music appreciation program
- Camp gardening projects