Oak Glen Conservation Camp #35
- 41100 Pinebench Road, Yucaipa, CA 92399
- Phone: (909) 797-0196
CDCR Camp Staff
- Lt. Sloat, Camp Commander
- Sgt. Lanthripp and Sgt. Pineiro, Assistant Camp Commanders
2021 Camp Statistics
- CDCR Staff: 15
- Total number of inmates: 65
- Total inmate capacity: 160
- Wood products – including custom cabinetry
Community Service Projects
- CAL FIRE Cabinet Shop supplies many fire stations in the area with custom cabinetry
- Two Oak Glen crews specialize in tree trimming and bug abatement (Numerous inmates have taken these learned skills and used them upon reentry)
Oak Glen Conservation Camp is located in the San Bernardino Mountains at an elevation of over 5,500 feet near the boundary of the San Gorgonio Wilderness area. The camp is about 10 miles north of Beaumont, near the apple-growing community of Oak Glen. The camp is situated on 27 acres of leased Forest Service land within the San Bernardino National Forest and utilizes a special-use permit for a fire control facility. The San Bernardino County line divides the camp equally between two counties. Numerous California brown bears make their home in the immediate vicinity of the camp.
Oak Glen Camp was established in 1945 as a tent camp. The original buildings were constructed by inmates out of materials salvaged from the United States Army at Camp Hahn. Many different agencies have provided manpower to Oak Glen Camp, but CAL FIRE has been here since it opened. It operated as a CDCR camp until 1963. In 1963-64, the CAL FIRE as a California Youth Camp operated it. In 1964 it was converted to a Job Corps Center. This was terminated in 1969 and the CDCR Don Lugo Camp at Chino was moved to Oak Glen. It was later converted to California Youth Authority in September of 1972.
On May 15, 1990, another transition took place and CDCR inmates replaced the Youth Authority wards.
Several support groups and educational programs remain active for the camp’s inmates, such as GED, Narcotics Anonymous, Alcoholics Anonymous, a Pre-Release program, and a Hobby Program. Two Religious Services Sponsors (R U Ready Ministries and Fellowship in the Pass) come to the camp each week. Oak Glen camp also has an active Music Program.