When Correctional Officer Mark Jones isn’t working at High Desert State Prison in Susanville, he volunteers as a firefighter. His dedication to public safety, even while off the job, was recognized March 27, 2021, by the City of Susanville when he was named Firefighter of the Year.
Officer Jones, who began his correctional career in June 2001, answered the call to be of service to his community as a volunteer Susanville firefighter in 2018. Since then, he’s also been certified in wildland firefighting.
Officer Jones, as a Susanville volunteer firefighter, has been deployed to:
- Zogg Fire, Shasta and Tehama counties, September 2020
- Sheep Fire, Pumas County, August 2020
- Hog Fire, Lassen County, July 2020
- Gomez Fire, Lassen County, May 2019
He has also been called out for numerous middle-of-the-night vehicle extractions and city fires. After his volunteer work, he still reported to work at High Desert State Prison the next morning.
Jones was nominated by the city for his commitment to deploying for wildland fires as well as his involvement in city events and fundraisers.
By Lt. Celina Cervantes
- CDCR helped fight fires across the state, (view the 2020 story).
- View other stories on firefighters.