Chuckawalla Valley State Prison (CVSP) recently hosted its first National Women’s History Month celebration.
Carie Covel, Associate Warden of Business Services, coordinated the March 24 event with several others, highlighting this year’s theme, “Valiant Women of the Vote: Refusing to be silenced.”
Warden Holbrook welcomed everyone to the event, then conceded the stage to the guest speakers for their inspirational stories. Some were in person while others were streamed via video conferencing.
Chuckawalla Valley prison Women’s History Month speakers included:
- CEO (A) Bryttiney Lincoln
- Annette Lambert, Deputy Director, CCHCS Quality Management
- Karen Mory, retired Senior Special Agent SSU
- Debra Keenan, Agriculture Executive
- M. Guzman, K-9 Officer
- Dr. Elizabeth Dos Santos-Chen, Regional Deputy Medical Director CCHCS
- Connie Gipson, Director, Division of Adult Institutions
- Capt. Yolanda Rojas, Ironwood State Prison
- Cynthia Tampkins, Warden, California Rehabilitation Center
- CDCR Secretary Kathleen Allison
The guest speakers spoke of adversities and challenges in their professional and personal live. They overcame obstacles to become successful leaders in their fields.
“All of these women are role models for everyone to follow. They never allowed anyone to tell them ‘no’ or ‘You can’t do that.’ These women achieved their goals with hard-work and determination,” said Warden Holbrook.
Story by Lt. JJ Hernandez.