Braille students at Avenal State Prison (ASP) receive marketable job skills as a way to reduce recidivism through a coordinated program consisting of:
- Vocational/Job skills training
- Documentation of work history
- Access to resources provided by ASP for use in their housing units
- Providing quality training and work opportunities for eligible incarcerated offenders that facilitates reintegration upon release.
Milestone Completion Credits are earned by each student upon completion of a certification level. The levels designated by the Library of Congress are:
- Literary Braille Transcribing, Braille-LOC-Level I
- Literacy Proofreading, Braille-LOC-Level II
- Music Transcribing Braille-LOC-Level III
- Mathematics, Braille-LOC-Level IV
- Mathematics Proofreading, Braille-LOC-Level V
Requirements to participate in the Avenal Braille program include:
- Disciplinary free for at least one year
- Be a United States citizen or have permanent resident status
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Be willing to transfer to Facility “F”
- Have good computer skills with no computer restrictions
- Must have four or more years left on one’s sentence
By Lt. J. Campbell
Read more stories about CDCR’s rehabilitation efforts.
Learn more about CDCR on our YouTube channel, Facebook page or Twitter account.