Valley State Prison’s (VSP) Bicycle Refurbishing Program (BRP) recently distributed more bicycles to the community. The VSP BRP collaborates with community partners to provide refurbished bicycles to local charitable and community-based agencies for distribution.
Recipients of the refurbished bicycles include:
- Madera County Probation Department
- Madera Unified School District, Friends of Fairmead
- Madera Community Action Partnership
- Madera Housing Authority
- Love Inc.
- and the Evangel Home.
The BRP is a self-guided, learning based program. Incarcerated gain the opportunity to utilize and build skills in bicycle repair, a beneficial community trade. The Prison Fellowship Ministries and the Angel Tree Foundation are major sponsors. They adopted BRP as part of their local community benefit mission.
Additional valued partners include, but are not limited to:
- Rotary Club
- Madera County Probation
- Prison Fellowship Ministries
- Chowchilla Police Department
- and Clovis Recycling.
Recent bicycle donations include:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters received approximately 10 bikes.
- Madera Food Bank – 15 bikes for homeless, low income and local elementary schools.
- FIRM agency received 25 bikes for children 10-12 years old.
- Church from Oakhurst received 2 bikes.
- Chowchilla High School received 1-2 bikes.
- Madera Probation received approximately 10 bikes.
- Habitat for Humanity received approximately 12 bikes.
Story submitted by Lt. H. Gastelum, AA/PIO
Valley State Prison