Visiting Your Loved One with Skype for Business
Video visiting using Skype for Business is available as of April 11, 2020 at all Division of Juvenile Justice facilities. Below are directions for visiting your loved one through Skype for Business. (En Español)
Due to COVID-19, in-person visitation has been temporarily halted. In order to facilitate video visits with a DJJ Youth, you must send an email to DJJvideovisiting@cdcr.ca.gov, and include the following:
- Family member’s name
- Email address, phone number
- The Youth’s name and DJJ number
- Facility and living unit
- Available times on Saturdays and Sundays you can accept a Skype call
The DJJ representative will schedule a “Skype for Business” meeting and email it to your email address on record. You will need to utilize “Skype for Business” in order to participate in the video visit.
- Ensure your device is fully updated and you have the latest version of the Skype for Business app.
- You do not need a Skype account to join the meeting.
- We highly recommend that you install Skype for Business prior to your actual video visit to maximize your time with your loved one.
- Do not join the meeting until the specified time. Joining early can cause issues.
- If you have an iPhone and cannot find the meeting notice email, check your calendar on your iPhone. It may have automatically accepted the meeting and added it to your calendar.
If you plan on participating in the video visit via Smartphone or tablet, you must first download and install the app. Go to Step #1.
If you are participating via computer/laptop, we recommend that you join via web browser. Go to Step #7.
Connecting via Smartphone or Tablet
Clicking on the link in the invite from your smartphone or tablet will bring you to the App Store or Google Play Store for installation.
- When installing the app or software, you must ensure you are installing “Skype for Business” not “Skype”. If you install “Skype”, it will not work.
- At the scheduled video visit time, open the meeting invitation and click on the “Join Skype Meeting” link.
- Once “Skype for Business” opens the link, you will be prompted to Sign In. Do not click on “Sign In” click on “Join as a Guest” per the screenshot below.
- You must enter your name. Please enter your name as it’s on record with DJJ and then click on the arrow. The DJJ Representative will ensure that only “authorized” participants will be on the call.
- To enable video, touch or click the icon shaped like a video camera.
- At the conclusion of your call, touch the red icon to hang up.
Connecting via a computer/laptop web browser
- Open the meeting invite from the web browser on your computer/laptop by clicking on the “Try Skype Web App”. We recommend using the Google Chrome web browser.
- Click on “Install and join Skype Meetings App (web)
- This will download the Skype Web App, click on “Keep.”
- Follow any on screen prompts to install the software. Click on the down arrow, and then on “Open”. The app will install.
- You must enter your name. Please enter your name as it’s on record with DJJ and then click on “Join”. The DJJ Representative will ensure that only “authorized” participants will allowed on the video visit.
- Check the “always” box and click on “Allow”. This will then join you to the video visit.
CDCR/DJJ will not offer any technical support if you experience any technical issues. It is your responsibility to have “Skype for Business” installed on a functional smartphone, tablet, laptop/computer with internet access and a camera.