Executed Inmate Summary – Clarence Ray Allen

WARNING: The following crime summaries contain graphic descriptions of one or more murders and may not be suitable for all audiences.

Clarence Ray Allen mugshot

Name: Allen, Clarence Ray
CDC# B91240
Sex: M

  • Alias: Clarence Ray, Jr., Junebug
  • Race: White
  • Date Received: 12/02/1982
  • Education: 8th Grade
  • Location: San Quentin State Prison
  • Married: No


Three counts of first-degree murder with special circumstances and one count of conspiracy.

  • County of Trial: Glenn (change of venue from Fresno County)
  • Sentence Date: 11/22/1982
  • County of Residence: Unknown
  • County of Offense: Fresno
  • Offense Date: 09/05/1980
  • Court Action: Affirmed
  • Case #: 18240


  • Bryon William Schletewitz (male)
  • Douglas Scott White (male)
  • Josephine Linda Rocha (female)

Co-Defendant: None.


In 1974, Clarence Ray Allen planned a burglary of Fran’s Market in Fresno, California and solicited the involvement of two men who worked for him at his security guard business. Allen also arranged the help of a young woman, Mary Sue Kitts, to get the keys to the store and its burglar alarm from Bryon Schletewitz, son of the market owner.

Following the burglary and after stolen money orders were cashed, Kitts told Schletewitz it was Allen who had robbed the market. Schletewitz confronted Allen’s son, who denied it, and Allen himself also denied it. Allen said that something would have to be done to the young woman and he arranged Kitts’ death. Allen was arrested. He was convicted of burglary, first-degree murder and conspiracy and sent to prison to serve a life sentence on March 16, 1978.

He was incarcerated at Folsom State Prison and knew Billie Ray Hamilton in prison. While in prison, Allen plotted to kill the people who had informed on him and gotten him prison time.

Three days after Hamilton was paroled, he was picked up by Allen’s son at the bus station where he also asked for weapons to carry out the crimes.

On Sept. 4, 1980, Hamilton and his girlfriend, Connie Barbo, went to Fran’s Market and purchased some meat from Joe Rias. Rias went into the storeroom with Douglas White. Since it was after the market’s closing time, the front door was locked. Bryon Schletewitz and Josephine Rocha came into the storeroom followed by Hamilton who was holding a sawed-off shotgun on them. Barbo followed behind. Hamilton ordered them to lie down. They all sat down. Hamilton told Douglas White to get up and took him to the freezer. When they entered the freezer, White told Hamilton that there was no safe there. White returned to the storeroom with the other clerks.

Hamilton then asked Schletewitz for the keys to the safe. Schletewitz slid the keys to him. Hamilton ordered him out, and told Barbo to watch the others. She pulled out a handgun. They went to the safe. Schletewitz told Hamilton he would give him all the money. Rias later testified that when Schletewitz and Hamilton
went to the safe area, he heard shuffling and a bang. It was later learned that Hamilton shot Schletewitz at close range with the shotgun.

Hamilton went back to the room and asked Douglas White where the safes were kept; White did not know and Hamilton shot him at close range in the chest and stomach.

Another shot was heard and it was later learned that a shotgun blast at close range killed Josephine Rocha.

Hamilton attempted to kill Rias, but Rias covered his face with his left arm. The blast hit his arm, blowing off most of the tissue and shattering his elbow. Hamilton and Barbo checked on the other three victims to make sure they were dead.

Hamilton was later arrested as a suspect in a Modesto robbery and assault with a deadly weapon. Among his possessions was an address book with the name of Clarence Ray Allen. Because of the listing of Fran’s Market and the names of some of the victims, investigators believed there was a connection with the murders and the Fran’s Market burglary for which Allen had been convicted.

The investigation of this matter led to the arrest of inmate Clarence Ray Allen.

Allen was convicted of three counts of first-degree murder with special circumstances and was received onto California’s death row at San Quentin State Prison on December 2, 1982.


Clarence Ray Allen was executed by lethal injection at San Quentin State Prison on January 17, 2006, at 12:20 a.m. He was pronounced dead at 12:38 a.m.

Allen’s last meal was buffalo steak, Kentucky Fried Chicken, all white meat; fried bread; pecan pie (sugar free); black walnut ice cream (sugar free); and whole milk.

Allen issued the following statement:

“First of all I’d like to say how good the last meal was, how much I enjoyed it and how much I love my family and friends who have stood by me all these years. I’d also like to thank my friends from Europe who have written to me and my spiritual advisor Richard Williams, one lady, Henny Ripp from Holland, and another lady from Italy, Christine Kaufmann, who I gave an Indian name of Morning Sun, and she’s been that to me, and all of the inmates on death row that I’m leaving behind that they will be joining me one day.

One good friend I’ve got that I hate to leave behind who’s been my neighbor for 20 years is Ward Weaver.

And all of my family that was here to visit me during this period, I love you very much for being with me during this time.

My last words will be, ‘Hoka Hey, it’s a good day to die.’ Thank you very much. I love you all. Goodbye.”

The family of Bryon William Schletewitz released the following statement after the January 17, 2006, execution of Clarence Ray Allen:

“Over thirty years ago with the burglary of the Schletewitz family business, Ray and Fran Schletewitz and their son Bryon were drawn into Clarence Allen’s destruction of lives. Clarence Allen took the life of Mary Kitts with premeditation and was sent inside prison walls. We all thought we were free of him. He sent an assassin to kill Bryon for testifying against him. Two other young people, Josephine Rocha and Douglas White, died because they were working with Bryon. Clarence Allen destroyed the happiness of the Schletewitz family, the Rocha family, the White family, and the Kitts family. It has taken thirty years from the burglary of Fran’s Market to this night for Clarence Allen to receive his just punishment. The Schletewitz family wishes to express gratitude to the men and women who stood by our families to ensure a just end to Clarence Allen’s destruction of lives.”
The family of Bryon William Schletewitz

Several members of the family of Josephine Rocha witnessed the execution of Clarence Ray Allen. Josephine’s family released the following statement as the expression of their sentiments about this event:

“It has taken 23 years but justice has prevailed today. Mr. Allen abused the justice system with endless appeals until he lived longer in prison than the short 17 years of Josephine’s life.

The family of Josephine Rocha thanks all those that supported us throughout this ordeal.”