Sending money

To send money to an inmate first:

3 Ways to Send Money

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)

  • Paid service with a fee
  • Funds post to an inmate account within 1 – 3 days
  • Friends and family can deposit funds to a trust account or restitution only
  • Send money through one of our EFT vendors :

Lock Box

  • No fee for sending money via money order, personal check, or cashier’s check
  • Fill out Money Order Deposit Form (coupon) with sender name and address
  • Make check or money order payable to JPay
  • Mail to: JPay, 2202 South Figueroa St, Box #3001, Los Angeles, CA 90007
  • Do not include any letters or notes with payment, as these will be discarded
  • Personal checks will be held for 10 business days
  • Maximum of $999.99 per Money Order Deposit Form (coupon)
  • Email not required
  • Inmate funds only: JPay does not accept Family Visit, TCL, Restitution only, etc.
  • Money Order Deposit Form (coupon)
  • Visit for Terms and Conditions. A JPay account is not needed to send money orders, personal checks,

Mail Your Check or Money Order to the Institution

  • No fee
  • 30 day hold
  • Sender’s name and address required on check or money order
  • Make check or money order payable to CDCR
  • Include Inmate Name and Inmate CDCR # on check

Reasons to Send Money

  • Funds to Inmate (for discretionary spending). Money that is being sent to the inmate for his or her own personal use is subject to restitution and administrative charges.
  • Restitution Payment. To make a payment for a restitution fine or direct order for a parolee, the parolee should contact his/her parole agent for instruction. If the payment is for an inmate, the inmate should contact his/her counselor for information. When making a payment, please give the restitution fine or direct order information. We also need in writing what should be done with any excess money over the fine or direct order amount. It can either be given to the inmate or refunded to the sender. IMPORTANT: When an inmate has a Restitution Fine and Direct Order Collection a portion of any money you send in will be used to pay that fine or collection. Effective January 1, 2007 and thereafter, when an inmate owes any obligation pursuant to a restitution fine imposed by a court, the department shall deduct 50 percent or the balance owing, whichever is less, from the inmate’s wages and trust account deposits regardless of the source of such income. In addition, an administrative fee of 10 percent of the deduction shall be deducted to reimburse the department for its administrative costs, for a maximum deduction of 55 percent. The amount deducted, less the administrative fee, shall be transferred to the California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board for deposit in the Crime Victims’ Restitution Fund in the State Treasury. (CCR § 3097) You may contact the California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board at 800-777-9229. Visit the CalVCB website.
  • Family Visiting. Before sending money for family visiting, contact the institution’s Family Visiting Office at the institution where the inmate is located for instructions. NOTE: Funds for family visiting may NOT be sent via Electronic Funds Transfer.
  • Temporary Community Leave. Before sending money for Temporary Community Leave, the inmate should contact his or her counselor for instructions.

Message to Approved Vendors

Important: All vendors must receive CDCR approval before providing services to institutions. 

Inmate Quarterly Packages are available through authorized private vendors.

(View the approved vendor list.)

Since 2003, the CDCR has contracted with a number of statewide and national companies that ensure inmates receive packages.

CDCR vendor approval is limited to minimum security requirements and general business intent. Purchases from vendors are at the buyer’s sole risk. CDCR assumes no liability for such purchases. Any issues or disputes regarding the vendor’s products are the sole responsibility of the buyer and/or vendor, and CDCR is not obligated to mediate or resolve any such disputes (Department Operations Manual Section 54030.9.1(a)(7)).

Any funds sent to an inmate will still be subject to restitution as ordered by the sentencing court. However, families that purchase packages directly from a vendor are not impacted by restitution.

Relevant Regulations and Policy

  • Adopted Department Rules (effective January 1, 2017) – Funds Enclosed in Correspondence
  • Read DOM Article 43 policy regarding Inmate Property. When the document opens, type in Article 43 as the search criteria, then press [enter]. After a few seconds, it should take you directly to the Inmate Property section.
  • View the Religious Personal Property Matrix