California Correctional Institution (CCI) Facility A celebrated the graduating classes of 2020 and 2021.
The October 19 ceremony marked the first in-person graduation since 2019. In all, a total of 55 graduates and guests celebrated their accomplishments.
CCI graduating classes by the numbers:
- One college graduate who received three different associate’s degrees
- Five received high school diplomas
- 10 received general education diplomas
- 37 received certificates for completion of Computer Related Technology
- Two received certificates for completion of the Peer Literacy Mentor Program.
Warden Brian Cates said he was proud of the students for not letting COVID, or the difficulty of being housed on a Level IV facility, stop them from completing their goals.
Supervisor of Academic Instruction Keith Thompson said this accomplishment is something nobody could ever take from them.
One of the graduates used his talents as a rap artist to wow those attending. With his lyrics, he described the ability to drop what he used to know on the streets while picking up what he has learned in his classes.
“I was banging on the streets, but now they got me banging on my keys. I don’t even have to look at the keyboard because I know the A’s from the Z’s,” he rapped.
After the ceremony, cake and refreshments were made available to cap off the graduation.
By Lt. Eric Barthelmes