To benefit local nonprofits, an April fundraiser at RJ Donovan Correctional Facility (RJD) featured fresh grilled burgers and chicken.
Teaming with Habit Burger Grill, the food fundraiser spanned five days. The event was the first time RJD served freshly grilled burgers to the population. Overall, the event raised $35,643.
Total burgers and sandwiches served:
- 2,221 double-char burgers
- 1,324 sirloin steak burgers
- 1,118 barbecue chicken sandwiches.
- The August 20 backpack drive for the Sports Training Academics & Recreation Police Activities League.
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater San Diego.
- Home Start, a nonprofit group focusing on at-risk children.
“(Home Start) addresses conditions that put children in risky or abusive situations (such as) poverty, unsafe neighborhoods, lack of affordable housing, and unemployment,” said Laura Tancredi-Baese, Chief Executive Officer.
According to organizers, the fundraiser was also a morale boost for the population and staff.
See more community involvement stories.