The Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) at Herlong hosted High Desert State Prison (HDSP) management and honor guard for the Fallen Officers Memorial.
Those attending included:
- Federal Correctional Bureau
- Nevada Highway Patrol
- Washoe County Sheriff
- Reno and Sparks Police Department
- Sierra Army Depot Emergency Services
- Susanville Police Department
- and Lassen County Sheriff’s Office.
FCI Herlong Captain A. Salcido recited names of all FCI and Nevada Department of Corrections fallen Correctional Officers.
HDSP Warden (A) R. St. Andre recited all the names of fallen CDCR Correctional Peace Officers.
The Honor Guard rang a bell to honor the memory of all the officers.
Taps played after the recital of names. The combined honor guard team then presented the memorial wreath to honor all the fallen. Finally, FCI Herlong Warden S. Salmonson closed the ceremony.
The memorial featured:
- law enforcement vehicle procession
- bagpipe tribute
- honor guard presentation
- singing the national anthem
- and an invocation prior to the recognition.
The third stanza of a well-known poem by Brad Miller sums up why fallen officers are remembered.
“We remember the officers who we never really knew,
Persons strong enough to answer the challenge are few,
With heavy hearts we mourn the officers in eternal rest,
There’s more to these people than the badge on their chest.”