Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP) Employee Action Committee presented $500 scholarship checks to two high school seniors.
Jessica V. receives $500 to attend UC Irvine
Jessica V. finished school with a 4.37 GPA. She attended West Hills College where she earned an Associate’s Degree in Math. Jessica was also involved in many groups while in school, including:
- Vice President of the Associated Student Body
- Secretary of West Hills College Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
- President of the Student Community Outreach
- President of the Earth Club.
Jessica earned a spot on the Academic Decathlon Team where she competed in the highest division. She won the Kings County competition earning a national invitation to the state competition in Santa Clara. From there, Jessica’s team went to the national competition in Frisco, Texas, placing fourth in their division. Jessica will attend University of California Irvine where she will study Biomedical Engineering.
Amanda D. receives $500 scholarship for college
Amanda D. finished school with a 4.33 GPA. She completed high school while earning straight A grades the entire four years. Most impressive, Amanda never received anything below an A grade. Each semester ended with either an A or an A+. Amanda was involved in many groups including Drama, CSF, Vida, and FCA Club.
She earned multiple awards during high school including:
- Honor Roll (eight straight semesters)
- Advanced Placement Scholar Award
- Bausch and Lomb Honor Society Award
- Tennis MVP
- #3 Tennis player in Fresno County
- #1 Tennis Doubles team in Fresno County and finished second in her class.
During the pandemic, Amanda volunteered in a school lunch program, traveling on buses to deliver food to families who couldn’t leave their home. Amanda will attend California State University Channel Islands as a pre-nursing major. She plans to transfer to N.Y.U. medical to become a fetal surgeon.
Story submitted by Lt. Jason Martin, AA/PIO
Pleasant Valley State Prison