Over the summer, the Mule Creek State Prison (MCSP) Honor Guard represented CDCR at the National Memorial Ceremony Project 2000 in St. Louis, MO.
The five MCSP Honor Guard members attended the Correctional Peace Officers Foundation (CPOF) Project 2000 XXXIII from June 15-18.
Attending from MCSP were:
- R. Dawson, Correctional Counselor, Honor Guard commander
- E. Broussard, sergeant, Honor Guard commander
- A. Romero, officer, team member and lead rifle detail
- J. Hernandez, officer, team member
- J. Spaulding, sergeant, team member
The MCSP team joined other CDCR Honor Guard teams from:
- High Desert State Prison
- California Rehabilitation Center
- and San Quentin Rehabilitation Center
The annual ceremony draws honor guard teams from across the country to honor those who lost their lives in the line of duty. The event also offers support for families of the fallen.
In 1990, the CPOF began hosting an annual event for correctional officers and families called Project 2000. This project is a National Memorial Ceremony to recognize those men and women in the Corrections profession around the nation who lost their lives in the line of duty in the previous year.
Surviving family members are invited as honored guests of the CPOF to be recognized and pay tribute to the fallen.
MCSP strives to continue to support CPOF Project 2000 and plans to represent CDCR again next year in Bellevue, WA.
Submitted by Lt. Beau Campbell, AA/PIO
Mule Creek State Prison