Sending money to an inmate at this institution has changed
Inmate Deposits may now be sent through the Lock Box Service for inmate deposits of checks and money orders up to $999.99. Lock Box allows for incoming inmate monies to be mailed to a secured centralized depository. Checks and Money Orders in the Amount in of $1,000.00 or more will still be accepted at the institution.
- Send a check or money order (http://offers.jpay.com/california)
- Download the Money Order Deposit Form (PDF)
The process for Electronic Fund Transfers remains unchanged for ALL prisons. Find out more about sending money to inmates.
San Quentin State Prison (SQ)
San Quentin State Prison - Mission Statement
San Quentin State Prison is California’s oldest and best known correctional institution, which was established on the site currently known as Point San Quentin, in July of 1852, as an answer to the rampant lawlessness in California at the time. During its construction, inmates slept on the prison ship, the Waban, at night and labored to build the new prison during the day. San Quentin housed both male and female inmates until 1933 when the women’s prison at Tehachapi was built. The prison rests overlooking the bay on 432 acres, and is located just 12 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge in the county of Marin. The walled prison is made up of four (4) large cell blocks (West, South, North, and East Block), one (1) maximum security cell block (the Adjustment Center), Central Health Care Service Building, a medium security dorm setting and a minimum security firehouse. The state's only gas chamber and death row for all male condemned inmates are located at San Quentin.
Visiting and Directions
- Visitation Home
- Facility Locations
- CA Out-of-State Facilities
- Community Correctional Facilities
- Juvenile Facilities (DJJ)
- Printable Maps of California's Correctional Facilities
- Get on the Bus
- Inmate Visiting Guidelines - includes Mail and Telephone calls (pdf)
- Juvenile Visitor Guidelines
- Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS)