CDCR’s Budget for Fiscal Year 2018-2019
|Program||Allocation (in thousands)|
|Corrections and Rehabilitation Administration||$507,745|
|Peace Officer Selection and Employee Development||$108,777|
|Department of Justice Legal Services||$40,659|
|Juvenile Operations and Juvenile Offender Programs||$151,049|
|Juvenile Academic and Vocational Education||$24,086|
|Juvenile Health Care Services||$23,366|
|Adult Corrections and Rehabilitation Operations – General Security||$4,274,241|
|Adult Corrections and Rehabilitation Operations – Inmate Support||$1,785,568|
|Adult Corrections and Rehabilitation Operations – Contracted Facilities||$169,791|
|Adult Corrections and Rehabilitation Operations – Institution Administration||$658,494|
|Parole Operations – Adult Supervision||$345,363|
|Parole Operations – Adult Community Based Programs||$225,034|
|Parole Operations – Adult Administration||$75,248|
|Sex Offender Management Board and SARATSO Review Committee||$1,221|
|Board of Parole Hearings – Adult Hearings||$41,804|
|Board of Parole Hearings – Administration||$7,459|
|Rehabilitative Programs – Adult Education||$221,141|
|Rehabilitative Programs – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Reentry Services||$126,297|
|Rehabilitative Programs – Adult Inmate Activities||$73,490|
|Rehabilitative Programs – Adult Administration||$22,309|
|Medical Services – Adult||$1,942,603|
|Dental Services – Adult||$167,630|
|Mental Health Services – Adult||$458,634|
|Psychiatric Program – Adult||$271,431|
|Ancillary Health Care Services – Adult||$376,924|
|Dental and Mental Health Services Administration – Adult||$48,924|
The Governor’s Budget is released on January 10th each calendar year and the Budget Act is released once it has been signed by the Governor. For further information on the Governor’s budget or the Budget Act for the current and prior fiscal years, please visit the Department of Finance website.
Budget Services Functions
Budget Management works with the Directorate, Deputy Director-Financial Services Division and Accounting staff as well as external control agencies (i.e., Department of Finance, and State Controller’s Office) to make changes to the Department’s budget for publication in the Governor’s Budget due January 10th of each year. The staff administer the budget to each program through an allocation of funding and subsequent revisions during the fiscal year as well as provide budget expertise to Executives. The primary functions of the Budget Management Branch are to:
- Provide budget related support functions to the Division of Adult Institutions (DAI), Division of Juvenile Justice (DJJ), Headquarters, Division of Adult Paroles (DAPO), and Division of Health Care Services.
- Work with the Department of Finance to manage the department’s budget authority through all annual budgetary processes.
- Provide technical fiscal support to various groups as needed.
- Process State Controller’s Office documents related to position authority.
- Complete technical budget adjustments throughout CDCR (i.e., health benefits, retirement, and furlough adjustments).
- Prepare the annual Governor’s Proposed Budget which ultimately leads to the annual Budget Act.
- Complete the Schedule 7A to display the level of authorized positions for prior year, current year and budget year for CDCR per the final Budget.
- Work with internal program staff to analyze and amend Budget Change Proposals.
- Complete population based processes bi-annually for DAI, DJJ, and DAPO.
- Act as liaison for Legislative Analyst Office (LAO) and the Legislature. Duties include participating in budget committee hearings, schedule meetings and coordinating/providing responses to requests as required by the Legislature and/or the LAO.
- Provide allotments of the budget to all CDCR divisions as well as work with field analysts to maintain accurate annual projections of expenditures on a monthly basis.