Parole Hearing Information

Important Information

What is a parole hearing?

A parole proceeding is a hearing to determine whether an offender is suitable for release to parole supervision and is not a current, unreasonable risk of danger to the public.

Who can attend a parole hearing?

The victim or if the victim has died, family members may attend and speak at the proceeding in the following order of priority:

  • Spouse (including registered domestic partners)
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Grandchildren
  • Grandparents

Victims and their families may choose to designate a representative to speak on their behalf or send counsel in-lieu of their appearance. If you choose to have a representative speak on your behalf, please notify the Office of Victim and Survivor Rights and Services (OVSRS). Please be aware that many hearing rooms are relatively small and, therefore, the number of individuals allowed to attend the hearing may be limited.

How can I be notified of a parole hearing?

When requested, the Board of Parole Hearings (BPH) will notify the victim or the victim’s family of an upcoming parole proceeding.

Requests MUST be made in writing or by calling the Office of Victim & Survivor Rights & Services (OVSRS). If you move you MUST notify OVSRS of your new address.

Upon receipt of the request, OVSRS will send you a Declaration form to complete and return stating that you are a victim or a family member of the victim. Once the declaration is returned, your request will be kept on file and you will be notified in writing once the offender is scheduled for a parole proceeding.

What do I do if I want to attend a parole hearing?

Call the Victim Services Coordinator at the OVSRS at least two weeks before the hearing. This will give the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation enough time to clear you for entry into the correctional facility where the proceeding will be held.

If you cannot attend a parole proceeding in person there may be additional options available. Some institutions have the ability to provide video or audio conferencing. Video conferencing is typically in coordination with your local county District Attorney’s office and OVSRS. Please contact OVSRS to coordinate video or audio conferencing.

How do I request compensation for travel costs to a parole hearing?

The Office of Victim and Survivor Rights and Services (OVSRS) has funds available through a federal grant which allows for reimbursement for costs associated with travel to a parole proceeding. This project was supported by funding awarded by Victims of Crime Act (VOCA), funded through the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES). To request reimbursement please fill out State of California Form.

What do I do if I want to order a transcript of the parole proceeding?

Approximately 30 days upon completion of an offender’s proceeding before the Board, a stenographic record (transcript) of the proceeding will be available. Crime victims and their families can request transcripts of parole proceedings by accessing the Board of Parole Hearings web page.