Become a volunteer or program provider

Becoming a Volunteer or Program Provider is a major part of the rehabilitative process for our inmates. Interested Individuals in volunteering and becoming Program Service Providers will need to coordinate with the Community Resources Managers at the institutions. Becoming a Program Service Provider will require the following items and submitted to the Community Resources Manager at the institution you would like to partner with. To maintain consistency, please file all applications simultaneously.

Letter of Interest

All new applicants that would like to be a Volunteer or Program Provider must submit a letter that provides justification of the services you are providing, how long you have been providing services, and where at. Additionally, this letter should include your employment, academic status, and participation in the community.


Please complete the Volunteer and Program Service Provider Application. The application includes the following documents:

If the following forms are needed, please email the Community Partnerships Unit inbox at

CDCR Form 966 Volunteer Application and Service Agreement

CDCR Form 181 Primary Rules and Regulations

CDCR Form 894 Emergency Notification Information

CDCR Form 7354 Tuberculosis Infectious Free Staff Certification

CDCR Form 7336 Employee Tuberculin Skin Test (TST) and Evaluation

CDCR Form 1049 Certification of Volunteer Participation

CDCR Form 8019 Nepotism and Fraternization Policy Acknowledgement

CDCR Form 2301 PREA Policy Information for Volunteers and Contractors

CDCR Form 1887 Parent Consent for Participation (Only if the applicant is under the age of 18)

CDCR Form 2037 Request for Volunteer Contact with Inmate

CDCR Form 894-A Personnel Identification Card Information


In accordance with the Department Operations Manual, Section 101090.7, Volunteer Orientation, at the onset of service and annually thereafter, regular and provisional volunteers must complete the volunteer training modules and on-the-job training courses listed below. The trainings to be completed annually can be found with the link below.

Volunteer Training Website

CDCR Volunteer Training_ext_s – Home (

If you currently do not have access to the Link above, please reach out to the Community Resource Managers to receive access.

Video Modules

  • Communicable Disease Prevention (Approximately 30 Minutes)
  • Inmate/Staff Relations (Approximately 30 Minutes)
  • Emergency Operations (Approximately 1 Hour)
  • Equal Employment Opportunity and Sexual Harassment Prevention (Approximately 45 Minutes)

On-the-job Training Courses for Self-study

  • Prison Rape Elimination Act (Approximately 1 Hour)
  • Information Practices Act (Approximately 1 Hour)
  • Fire Prevention and Life Safety (Approximately 30 Minutes)
  • Tuberculosis Testing Self-Education (Approximately 1 Hour)

Live Scan Screening

After submitting the required documents, you will be required to complete a live scan. The live scan can be done at CDCR Headquarters in Sacramento or at an institution close to your residence. Please note, this will be of no cost to you.

Formerly Incarcerated

Wardens may approve formerly incarcerated persons, parolees, and those on probation to serve as Volunteers or Program Provider. Programs are often be enriched by the contributions of these individuals who share their experiences and personal progress.

In addition to the guidelines for training and background investigations, the following information shall be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Hiring Authority

Formerly incarcerated means a person who has had criminal justice contact to include a prior conviction, has received a sentence of imprisonment, and was released on parole or discharged from their sentence.

Formerly Incarcerated individuals interested in becoming a Volunteer or Program Provider will need to submit the following when applicable.

An individual is currently on Parole: Written approval from Regional Parole Administrator or designee.

If an individual is under supervised probation: Written approval from Chief Probation Officer or designee.

If the individual is currently on an informal probation: Written approval from the court or representative of the court.