Avenal State Prison (ASP)
Main Phone: (559) 386-0587
Physical Address: #1 Kings Way, Avenal, CA 93204 (Directions)
- All Staff: P.O. Box 8, Avenal, CA 93204
- Personnel Department: P.O. Box 39, Avenal, CA 93204
- Inmates (include inmate’s name and CDCR number):
- Facility A, P.O. Box 901, Avenal, CA 93204
- Facility B, P.O. Box 902, Avenal, CA 93204
- Facility C, P.O. Box 903, Avenal, CA 93204
- Facility D, P.O. Box 904, Avenal, CA 93204
- Facility E, P.O. Box 905, Avenal, CA 93204
- Facility F, P.O. Box 906, Avenal, CA 93204
Learn about contacting, visiting, and corresponding with inmates and juveniles who are in our institutions.
- PIA: Furniture Factory, Metal Fab, Egg Production, PIA Laundry & General Fabrication.
- Vocational: Auto body and fender, auto mechanics, electronics, office services and related technology, plumbing, refrigeration, small engine repair, welding, and electrical works.
- Academic: Adult Basic Education, High School/GED, English Language Development, Literacy Program, IIP (Incarcerated Individual Program, Computer Assistant Instruction and College Programs available.
- Other: Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Narcotics Anonymous (NA), Criminal Gangmembers Anonymous (CGA, ), Braille Transcription, Youth Adult Awareness Program, Timeless and various religious groups, and Eye Glass Recycling, Veterans Group, Avenal Prison Mindfulness Medication, and Friends Outside.
ASP currently provides services to 972 inmates in our academic classrooms, divided evenly between ABE I, II, and III/GED. Each class provides two three-hour sessions of instruction daily to 27 students each. Each of our six facilities has three academic classrooms; one each of ABE I, ABE II, and ABE III/GED, for a total of 18 classrooms.
CDCR’s Division of Rehabilitative Programs offers a wide range of programs for inmates. Check to see which programs are offered at this institution.
Avenal State Prison is located approximately 20 miles south of Coalinga and 14 miles west of Interstate 5. The city of Avenal has a small town/community feel to it. But if you like a bigger city, Fresno is about an hour northeast. Because of Avenal’s central location in the state, getaways to the California coastline, Hume Lake or the giant sequoias in Yosemite National Park are nice options. Avenal has quality schools, a library and museum along with a small town feel. Avenal is a great place to live and work and not too far from the rest of the Golden State.
ASP is a Reentry Hub programming hub which is geared to ensure that, upon release, offenders are ready for the transition back into society. We help develop parole plans, provide prisoners assistance with developing social skills and obtaining services in their local communities, promote public support.
Inmate Leisure Time Activity Groups (ILTAGS) Currently, ASP offers 18 ILTAGS with active inmate participation. ILTAGS are 12-step recovery programs where inmates learn to acknowledge their addictions and the need to live a sober life. The programs are conducted in a classroom setting utilizing staff sponsors. Participants are provided materials donated by outside groups, as well as books purchased by the institution. These groups are facilitated on Facilities A thru F.
Avenal prison was the first institution solicited by a local community. When it opened in 1987, it was the first all-new prison built in California in 20 years and was originally known as Kings County State Prison. On February 22, 1988, it was officially named Avenal State Prison.
Martin Gamboa began as acting warden at Avenal State Prison November 30, 2020. He began working for CDCR in 1998. He began his career at the Substance Abuse Treatment Facility in Corcoran in 1998 and promoted to the rank of Correctional Sergeant at San Quentin in 2005. He then transferred to Corcoran State Prison in 2007, where he promoted to Correctional Lieutenant, Captain, Associate Warden and subsequently to Chief Deputy Warden.
Jaron Nash is the Chief Executive Officer at Avenal State Prison. He received his Bachelor’s Degree in Health Services Administration, and Healthcare Masters in Business Administration from Florida International University. He is recognized by National Commission on Correctional Healthcare as a Certified Correctional Healthcare Professional. He is also certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt.
He has 14 years of correctional health-care experience, achieved by serving in public and private sectors of the industry. He obtained his start with Florida Department of Corrections at South Florida Reception Center, where he promoted to Health Services Administrator. He directed the multifarious healthcare mission until 2015.
He was recommended, and accepted the opportunity to lead healthcare operations at South Bay Correctional Facility. Under his leadership, South Bay’s multilateral healthcare division successfully achieved regulatory compliance across five governing entities. He departed South Bay Correctional Facility to achieve his aspirations to lead a jail division. In 2016, he was appointed as Healthcare Operations Administrator of Broward County’s Southern Division. He was the head of the multiplex operations comprised of Broward Main Jail and Central Intake divisions until 2020. In 2020, he relocated to California to join the team at Avenal State Prison.
Local Inmate Family Councils (IFC’s) are a gathering of family and friends of the incarcerated who meet regularly with Wardens to support visiting since keeping strong family connections with loved ones is a powerful rehabilitative tool. These IFC’s promote visiting by clarifying rules and regulations as well as discussing health, education, vocational training, packages, books, and related issues. For more information on connecting with a local IFC, please visit the Statewide IFC website.