Adult Education

Program Information

Adult education courses consist of classroom‐based and blended independent study classes designed for students of all grade levels. The programs include Adult Basic Education (ABE) and Adult Secondary Education (ASE). Teachers provide students interactive instruction based on California’s College and Career Readiness Standards.

ABE assists basic non‐readers and English learners reading below a 7th – grade level. Instruction focuses on English language arts and mathematics. The goal is for students to increase literacy and numeracy skills and progress through the courses to eventually earn a high school diploma or high school equivalency.

ASE educates students to earn a high school diploma or high school equivalency (HSE). Students earn high school diplomas through Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)-accredited course completion.  Students achieve high school equivalency by passing the General Education Development (GED) test. Both programs prepare students to continue their post‐secondary education, either through college or Career Technical Education where they can further gain essential skills for entry-level employment in a variety of fields.

Assignments to adult education are open-entry and open-exit. Adult education programs consist of research-based instructional practices, explicit direct instruction, and differentiation to individualize learning.

Note: Students may be eligible to earn Milestone Completion Credit(s) in accordance with the California Code of Regulations Title 15.


Adult education is available at all CDCR institutions.

Program Length

The average course length per grade‐level is typically one year.


Incarcerated individuals are enrolled in the appropriate ABE class level according to their reading grade level. Classification Committees assign incarcerated individuals who do not have a verified high school equivalency or a high school diploma.

Contact Information

(916) 445-8035