Offender Mentor Certification Program

The Offender Mentor Certification Program (OMCP) is a voluntary program for long-term and life-term incarcerated individuals. This program provides them with the training and education needed to become Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Counselors. Upon graduating from the OMCP, these OMCP mentors are assigned and paid as co-facilitators in Cognitive Behavioral Interventions (CBI) programs throughout all adult institutions. OMCP mentors provide guidance and peer-to-peer support to incarcerated individuals assigned to a CBI program.

At the completion of training and required internship hours, OMCP mentors can earn milestone credit, educational merit credit, and obtain an AOD Certification from a certifying organization recognized by the Department of Health Care Services. This certification can be used to obtain employment upon release, thereby facilitating the incarcerated individuals successful transition into the community.


  • California Correctional Institution (CCI)
  • California Men’s Colony (CMC)
  • California State Prison, Corcoran (COR)
  • California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC)
  • California State Prison, Solano (SOL)
  • Central California Women’s Facility (CCWF)
  • Valley State Prison (VSP)

Program Length

OMCP varies in length. Each incarcerated individual candidate must complete approximately one year of education in Substance Use Disorder Treatment, pass the AOD exam, and participate in supervised internship hours.


In order to be eligible, incarcerated individuals must meet the following criteria:

  • More than 5 years left to serve on your sentence (Lifers and LWOPs are eligible) 
  • No pending or adjudicated-guilty serious RVRs in the last 2 years
    • Case-by-case review for serious RVRs in the last 2 to 3 years 
    • Case-by-case review for administrative RVRs in the last 3 years 
  • No SHU terms in the last 3 years 
    • Case-by-case review for SHU terms in the last 3 to 5 years 
  • Reading level of 9.0 or above 

To apply to the OMCP, incarcerated individuals must complete and submit an application packet to their institution Correctional Counselor (CC) I or DRP CC III and participate in an interview process.

Contact Information

(916) 324-7029