Post-Secondary Education

Post-secondary education courses include college-level coursework offered to students through the Post-Secondary and Continuing Education Program. The Office of Correctional Education of the Division of Rehabilitative Programs in collaboration with various community colleges and partnership with the California Community College Chancellor’s Office, offers students opportunities to enroll in college courses that are nationally or regionally accredited by the United States Department of Education. Courses may be available via face-to-face instruction or correspondence coursework from accredited agencies.

Currently, various community colleges provide face-to-face college courses in 34 institutions. These college courses are non-remedial and lead to a degree in accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding established between the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) and the California Community College serving in that geographical location.

College courses are also provided to students via correspondence program by 25+ different colleges.

Students are responsible for tuition, fees, textbooks, and materials associated with college course enrollment. Students may be eligible for a tuition fee waiver through the California College Promise Grant that covers tuition for every low-income student in the state’s community colleges, including incarcerated students.

Students may be eligible to earn Milestone Completion Credit(s) and Education Merit Credit in accordance with the California Code of Regulations Title 15.


Face-to-face college classes are available at all institutions, except for the California Health Care Facility, and the Correspondence course program exists at all 35 institutions.

Program Length

Post-secondary education assignments and enrollments may vary. Offender-students’ progress at their own pace.


Enrollment in post-secondary education is voluntary. Students must have earned their High School Diploma or Equivalency and enroll in courses that are non-remedial and lead to a post-secondary degree.

Contact Information

(916) 445-8035